How-to make Crockpot Cacoila Video
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds pork, cut into cube pieces. (you can substitute beef or combo of both) Recipes vary from Portuguese family to family and region to region.
- 1 link of chouriço, casing removed, cut into cubes (optional)
- 2 medium onions (chopped)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Portuguese allspice
- ¼ teaspoon Portuguese pure safflower
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red hot pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce. (you can substitute orange juice) Recipes vary from Portuguese family to family and region to region.
- ½ cup full bodied red wine (like, red port wine)
- Mix all ingredients together in crock-pot.
- Cover and cook for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Break meat apart and mix. Meat will at first have a lot of liquid, but as you mash and break meat apart and mix in, it will get to a pulled pork consistency.