You do not have to venture to your favorite Italian restaurant to get this classic, slow-cooked sausage and potato soup. Heavy whipping cream is the key to rich, full-bodied flavor. Use Spicy Italian Sausage to get that signature Italian restaurant flavor in a Slow Cooker.
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage, or links, casings removed and crumbled
- 3 russet potatoes, peeled, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 large white onion, finely chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup kale leaves, chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 strips of bacon, cooked and chopped
- Cook bacon till crisp and set aside for later.
- Brown Italian sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat, about 5 minutes. Drain and discard fat.
- Combine cooked sausage and all other ingredients EXCEPT cream, bacon, and kale in your crock pot.
- Cover with lid and cook 3 hours on high or 6 hours on low.
- Add cream and kale to crock pot, stir, and cook an additional hour on high.
- Garnish with cooked chopped bacon.